Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rejection Woes

I’ve moved into the phase of my writing career where I need to start sending out query letters. What’s holding me back is the fear of being rejected. I know it’s all part of the process. I know I can’t get better unless I get good feedback. I know an editor or agent isn’t going to magically appear on my doorstep and offer me a contract. If you don’t submit you might as well quit, right? LOL

I need a magic cure for all the doubts circling in my head. It’s not polished enough. It’s not good enough. The storyline isn’t original enough. Ah! I’ve worked many long, hard years on this manuscript and to think that with one glance it could, and probably will, end up in the slush pile makes my toenails curl.

Yes, I need a thicker skin. I understand that a rejection is only an opinion of the person reading it, but it doesn’t make the feelings disappear. This is the year I’ve promised myself I will send it out until there is no one else to send it to. I’ve made my lists. I’ve checked them twice. I’ve even made a pretty little box to hold all those wonderful rejections. Now all I have to do is get up the nerve to press that send key, or make that long daunting trip to the post office.

Wish me luck!! :)