Thursday, May 7, 2009

Don't Try it Alone

For years I tried writing on my own. I mean we all write our own stories, but I wasn’t a part of any groups and didn’t know anyone else who shared my dream. It was a lonely place to be, but I did finish my first manuscript. The feeling was beyond words. Finding someone to share in my enthusiasm was another story.

The bubble burst quickly. LOL I looked for publishers I thought would love to add my book to their long lists of bestsellers and then waited. And waited. And waited. When the first rejection came I was disappointed, but still held out hope. Maybe this publisher was just having a bad day. Then the second rejection came and the third and by the fourth I was pretty depressed. Still no contact with other writers, little support at home and I started thinking maybe I should just give it up.

I found RWA online by accident and started looking for local chapters around my area. I found three. One that was really close to my neighborhood. They were holding a contest and I decided to enter and see what kind of feedback I would get. Sent it off and then had to wait again. I hate that part by the way. J The results came back and it wasn’t pretty. Disappointment and frustration almost wore me down. But I decided to keep going and start something new. After I finished the second manuscript, I made up my mind to check out the RWA chapter in my area. And I’m so glad I did.

The people were awesome! Friendly, exciting and they shared my dream. Wow! I’ve learned so much since that day. I’m still learning. LOL Critique partners are priceless. Their honest comments and suggestions have made my work so much stronger. I wish I’d have found them sooner! I’ve made so many new friends both online and local and just knowing others share my struggles and the joys of writing is so encouraging.

Don't try this on your own. Find support either online or local. It will make all the difference in the world. :)