Sunday, May 31, 2009

Not Just for Kids

Have you ever picked up a kids book and found you absolutely love it? Tell me I’m not the only one. My nine-year-old son is a picky reader. I think most boys are. But we found a book series about a cat named Mr. Stink and he can’t wait to read it. I have to admit I find myself wanting to pick it up in between our scheduled reading time to find out what happens next. That’s why my son hides the book while he’s at school. LOL

This is the blurb on the back of book number three in the series titled “The Stink Files, You Only Have Nine Lives” by Holm & Hamel.

“I glanced up at the overhead luggage rack to see a black shape speeding toward the back of the train. A cat-sized black shape with a long furry tail. I dashed after him.
“Where do you think you’re going Mr. Stink? Hey-stop!” Aaron cried.
But I couldn’t stop to explain. I had an assassin to catch.

The cat’s name is James Edward Bristlefur and he’s a sophisticated secret agent out to find his previous owner’s killer. Sir Archibald had been the Director of a top-secret counterspy organization where James trained with the other cats. After Sir Archibald was poisoned, James became the pet of a young boy named Aaron. James was quite dirty when Aaron found him, so he named him Mr. Stink. The story is all told in the cat’s point of view. I find myself giggling as I read because of the author’s clever play on words. Like paw to paw contact, instead of hand-to-hand contact, and tales of King Artfur and the Great Round Food Dish.

Okay, I know, I have a warped sense of humor. But I really like these books. Adventure, mystery, suspense and danger. Now that’s my kinda story. If you have a reluctant reader in your family, I highly recommend these books.